Thoughts

"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he"

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Exams !!! How to crack it :)

Yesterday was the last exam of my study life. Exams have been a part and parcel of my life right from my school days till being a MBA. i have an uncanny habit of performing well in the exams . i remember my colleagues used to ask me how do u do so well in the exams and what is the funda of getting good grades/marks in exams ?
i really dont have an answer for this. i remember exams time have always been tough time for me. i have always been an one-day player. slogging out in the last night before the exams. i get impressed by people who used to read regularly and i always thought of replicating the same but no success as of now :)
But i certainly will tell some of the factors that really helped me scoring well in the exams:
1- Getting up early on the day of the exam and doing revision of all that u have read ( i remember my mom used to wake me up at 4 am during my school days. i developed this habit from then. it was fun waking up so early then sleep for 5-10 mins in between which always got elongated to half an hour - 1 hr :) also i and my younger brother used to cherish the movements of my sister who used to sleep while studying and then mom's advice to go and wash ur face :)i have done enough of that in my MBA tenure and quite successfully :)
2- Try to cover most of the course, may be not very thoroughly. i had this habit of not leaving anything untouched. maybe u can say that my risk profile is less ( MBA jargons :D ) Mind u, i am telling all this to score well. Knowledge wise i will always say go deep into the subject matter. i enjoyed some of the subjects during my engineering and it is a great feeling knowing more than what other knows. MBA's hectic schedule never allowed me in getting deeper understanding of any subject.
3- How you approach the questions is also i feel can be very vital. always start with the ones u are comfortable with. this will give you immense confidence. i always used to keep a tab on time while answering. i used to divide the total marks with the total time which gave me the no. of marks i need to attend in say an hour or so. and by attempting the easier and the ones i am comfortable answering, i always used to outperform on time :) this way the pressure never used to build up and i was able to complete my paper in time with enuf time for a recheck.
4- Keep a pencil,rubber always with you. it helps in answering multiple choice questions and questions you are not sure of .
5- To remove the anxiety of big exams ( CAT, XAT, FMS..) just before the exam, i used to dream about myself working hard for the exam and beleiving that i am fully prepared for it and i have given my best and now its all on the almighty.
This releieves the anxiety quite a lot.
6 - Try to attempt all the questions and never leave one. Time management is again the key here. it may happen that you know a lot about some question but that does not mean that u will write in lots. assign an approx. time to all and keep checking whether you are going in line with the time assigned.
7- Attending classes regularly and making class notes are of big help during the preparation for the exam. i would specially suggest my MBA folks that with so much less time and so much to do, good class notes can crash the preapration time required considerably.
8- Group study helps as the recall and understanding is better.

These are some of the tips ( tested quite lot of time ) which i have been following all thru my study life. i always wanted to share my experiences and wisdom :) i have got thru writing exams ( i have written a tonne of them ).Hope this may be of some help to the ones still not graduated.

All the best to the juniors for the Bani's paper

Have a nice day :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home